Northumbria University, Newcastle, is hosting a summer academy for researchers exploring global issues in international criminal justice and their impact on peace and security.
Running from June 12th to June 16th, it will include presentations and addresses by senior judges and leading research academics from around the world. Professor William Schabas, Professor of International Law and Human Rights, Middlesex University and Leiden University, will be the keynote speaker.
The academy is being held as part of ongoing work by the University’s Environmental and Global Justice Research Cluster, in partnership with Northumbria Law School, the Department of Social Sciences and the Northumbria Centre for Evidence and Criminal Justice. It is being coordinated by Northumbria Law School’s Doctor Mohamed Badar and Professor Sue Farran, and Doctor Tanya Wyatt, Associate Professor of Criminology and academic lead in Northumbria’s Environmental and Global Justice Research Cluster.
Doctor Wyatt said: “Northumbria University’s first annual summer academy promises to enrich global debates about peace and security. The week-long event will be ideal for academics, potential PhD and Masters students looking for ideas from practitioners and academics in law and criminology to help them formulate their research questions and proposals.”
Challenges to be examined and debated include:
- Challenges to international criminal justice and the future of the international criminal court
- Challenges to International cooperation in fighting transnational and international crimes
- Challenges in prosecuting terrorism and religiously-motivated violence
- Challenges in ensuring effective redress for victims in post-conflict situations
- Ecocide as a challenge to justice and security
- Rule of law reform in post conflict countries.
For further information and registration, and a list of speakers, please go to: www.northumbria.ac.uk/summeracademy.
Northumbria is a research-rich, business-focused, professional university with a global reputation for academic excellence. To find out more about our courses go to www.northumbria.ac.uk